It is safe to say we are all in need of a little self-care right now, whether lockdown worries have triggered sleepless nights, days cooped up with children have left you shattered, or self-isolation simply has you feeling relentlessly bored. So, what can you do come Friday night, while total freedom is still on hold? An at-home spa experience absolutely gets our vote. You might not be able to escape to a real-life retreat any time soon but, armed with the right pampering kit, you can certainly transform a corner of your home into a makeshift spa, indulging in DIY facials, skin-softening soaks, and a blissful night’s sleep.
1. Light a scented candle & Set the mood with music
Lighting a scented candle and background music is important. Silence can invite your brain to fill itself with cluttered thoughts – but you don’t want anything too overpowering. Finding the perfect spa playlist needn’t be laborious, however: simply head to Spotify or YouTube, where you’ll find plenty of ready-made lists to tune out to.
2. Quieten your mind
To keep the room, you’re in as peaceful as possible, it’s best to begin unwinding with a herbal tea – in a different room before you start. Sit for half an hour, or however long you feel you need, without your phone and just begin to release and relax. Once you feel calmer, enter your designated spa area.
3. Upgrade your bath
Of course, all good at-home spa sessions should involve a long, hot soak – whether you choose to dive into a good book or simply lie still and submerged for a while. There is also a lot of science behind the relaxing qualities of a bath too. Bathing is proven to lower the stress hormone, cortisol and stimulates the release of endorphins. There are also studies that show bathing can lower blood pressure to support heart health too. For your at-home spa experience, allow aromatherapy into your home and bath/shower and indulge yourself with an intoxicating Body wash. Follow your bath up with a long massage, using an Aromatic Body Lotion.
4. Treat yourself to a Facial
A proper at-home facial will likely form the centrepiece of your at-home spa session, best skincare treats offer pampering and performance in one. Invest in a few products and follow these steps for an effective at-home facial.
- Remove all your makeup with a gentle gel or milky facial cleanser. Rinse with room temperature water and pat skin with a clean towel.
- After your pores have been steamed open, now it is time for some natural mask and/or exfoliation. Natural Mask & Exfoliator is a gentler and more potent method of removing dead skin Under steam, apply to skin Massage lightly with fingertips to slough away dead skin cells and clear blocked pores.
- Remove exfoliator with round facial sponges and room temperature water.
- Follow with a pH balancing Facial Toner massaging in circular motions on your face and neck for up to a minute.
- For dry skin, opt for a creamy face mask rich in hydrating extracts, be it classic shea butter, natural plant oils or moisture-magnet hyaluronic acid. inspired by professional treatments, which brings a healthy radiance straight back to the most stressed-out skin.
- Use an Alert eye cream and Consider purchasing a hyaluronic acid Replenishing/invigorating serum to plump your skin and keep it looking spa-fresh longer. The Replenishing/Invigorating Serum Improves and restores moisture retention. Massage 2 to 3 drops of serum into damp skin using light effleurage movements.
5. Massage and Moisturize properly
Finally, all good spa sessions should end with phenomenally soft and hydrated skin. Today’s most mega hydrators come loaded with added benefits that will help you feel calm and grounded as you drift off for what might just be the best night’s sleep you’ve had this year. You can finish off with a lightweight moisturizer or a thick, rich facial hydrating cream—whatever works best for your skin type and concerns. A rich moisturizing cream is proven to reduce wrinkles and fine lines for a youthful glow. A rich, velvety cream that has a high concentration of active ingredients like antioxidant-rich, organic evening primrose seed oil (rich in omega-6 and -9). It powers cellular regeneration and restores elasticity and firmness. Stick to a moisturizing routine (that includes the body too) to help get you to your best skin ever, which in turn, will boost happiness. Enjoy your at-home spa experience!
Lavido’s picks for the ultimate at-home spa experience
To transform your home into a spa, we recommend a selection Lavido favourites:
Hydrating/Purifying Facial Cleanser
Antioxidant/Detox Facial Mask
Hydrating/Purifying Facial Toner
Replenishing/Invigorating Facial Serum
Age Away Hydrating Cream/Age Away Replenishing Cream/Age Away Night Cream
Alert Eye Cream